Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I wonder if I have too many shoes....

So, I recently decided to clean out my shoe closet. And by "clean out" I mostly mean "move all the winter shoes to the back and the summer shoes to the front." In this process I discovered that I own 36 pairs of shoes. After taking a closer look I decided I could do without 4 of those pairs, as I almost never wear them.

This leaves me with 32 pairs of shoes in circulation... and the slight feeling that this might be excessive...
Nevertheless, I'd say my chances of going all summer without buying anymore shoes are slim to none. There are worse problems to have, right?

4 comments:

Transplant said...

Imelda Marcos(wife of former president of Philippines) liked shoes. She had a special section of the presidential palace, comprising five separate rooms, which housed over 1,220 pairs of shoes -- pumps, hells, go-go boots, sandals, formalwear, casualwear. It is hard to grasp how many shoes the collection encompassed, but 1,220 pairs is more than your local mall shoestore has in stock. Only these shoes were for one person, not an entire city. The collection was simultaneously beautiful and horrifying. Like Nero fiddling while Rome burned to the ground, Imelda Marcos put the delectation of her feet above the empty bellies of the children of the country that looked to her for leadership.
(from here)

Transplant said...

So, in summary, I'd say 32 is not too much. Although the little pile of shoes in the picture reminded me of Imelda. Just a bit.

Anonymous said...

I wonder what Bry's count is. I see one pair of very large Berkenstock's in the pile, and he was probably wearing a pair of shoes, so that's at least 2. Sounds about like how it is at my house.

Kara said...

Well, I was going to say that no girl can have too many shoes, but then I read your mother's story and I stand corrected. So, I'd say that if you have a chance to feed hungry people instead of buying shoes, take it, but otherwise, you're probably good- buy some more! :)